|Description: A pink and lilac flowered cloche style ladies hat. The hat has a mesh type stiff lining over a wire frame. The hat is covered with small pink, white and lilac fabric and wire flowers. Four lavender velvet ribbons separate the flowers. There are a few green leaves through out. The metal wire surrounding the edge of the hat is cut at the centre back for 6 cm into the centre. There is a 7 x 3.5 cm label at the back ( cut in half as well) that reads "Original by Jerry Yates, New York, Montreal." |
This hat most likely belonged to Betty Ross's mother, Margaret Awrey Ross. Margaret Elizabeth (Betty) Ross (1936-2008) was born April 16th to parents, Margaret née Awrey and William McPherson Ross. William was a former Olympic oarsman who represented Canada in 1928 in Amsterdam. His 8 man rowing team won a bronze medal for their performance. He was inducted into the Mississauga Sports Hall of Fame in 1982 for his rowing achievements. The Rosses moved to 2114 Parker Avenue, Mississauga in 1937. Betty continued to live in this home after her parents passing.
Betty had many interest including painting, interior design, woodworking and genealogy. She was a long time volunteer of both the Museums of Mississauga and Heritage Mississauga. Betty had a great love of dogs and was a member of the Mississauga Kennel Club and was often busy showing her award winning Jack Russell Terrier, Cracker Jack, at dog shows. Betty never married but was very close with her younger brother’s family. Through her genealogy research Betty learned that her family was related to the Cawthra family after which Cawthra Road is named for.