|Description: a) A single-edged sword with a pointed tip and slightly curved blade. The blade is 90.0 cm in length and has a 'false edge' on the last 1/3 of the unsharpened opposite edge. Both sides of the upper blade are etched with crown, acanthus leaf scrolls, and laurel wreath motifs covering an area 11.3 x 2.0 cm which begins 13.5 cm down from the top of the blade. Also etched on both sides of the blade is the sword maker: "Benjamin Brothers, Toronto" and: "--*--". This information is closer to the top of the blade. The hilt is wrapped in textured metal alternating with twisted wire. A hand guard consisting of three loops of twisted metal forms a cage beginning at the bottom of the hilt and joining with the pommel. .b) A metal scabbard 93.1 cm in length x 5.0 cm wide is a narrow oval in cross section. Two metal straps with rings are attached to the scabbard at 6.5 and 30.0 cm from the top. The rings are for a strap for carrying the sword. The top of the scabbard is flared at the throat opening and decorated with 3 concentric graduated ridges. The bottom of the scabbard is protected by an asymmetrical flat piece of metal called a 'drag' or 'shoe'. |
This sword was traditionally known to Harris family members as "the Captain's sword". It is a Victorian Cavalry Sword supplied by Benjamin Brothers of Toronto. The pattern is a Light Cavalry Trooper's Sabre and the style may date from as early as 1829. It would have been used during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901). Since Captain Harris retired from the army in 1836, it is unlikely that this sword belonged to him. He most likely would have purchased all his supplies prior to this date from suppliers in England or Scotland. The only Harris to belong to the Cavalry was Thomas Marshall Harris Jr. There is a photograph in the collection of Thomas wearing a similar sword circa 1860.
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|