|Description: A black and dark red painted tin hat box for a military hat. It has a flat bottom and a curved top. It has a curved rectangular shape metal engraving that reads: 'Colonel H. M. Elliot' on the front. Above this is another smaller metal gold plate with 'Hawkes and Co. 14 Piccadilly London'. It has a metal carrying handle. |
The hat belonged to Major General Harry Macintyre Cawthra-Elliot (-1949), who took the Cawthra name after marrying Grace M.K. Cawthra. They lived in an estate house that Grace commissioned in 1926 that was a copy of the original family home, known as Yeadon Hall, Yorkshire, England. It was built by renowned architect W.L. Sommerville and the house was considered a Georgian and Colonial Revival style Harry died of complications of pneumonia. The house and adjacent property have been protected under the Ontario Heritage Act and is located on Cawthra Street, south of the QEW. H. M. Cawthra-Elliot, became the first Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police in 1921. See the Mississauga Heritage Foundation fact sheet on Harry Macintyre Cawthra-Elliot and Grace M.K. Cawthra-Elliot.
Margaret Helen Lawrence (née Gray) was born on June 18, 1914 in Toronto. She graduated as a dietician in 1938 and that same year married her husband Bill Lawrence. Bill and Margaret settled in Port Credit in 1950 and together raised four children; three boys and one girl. Between the years of 1962 and1964, Margaret served as Port Credit’s representative on the South Peel Board of Education. In 1968 she became the secretary for the Toronto Township Historical Foundation and remained a board member until 1988. Margaret was also an active member of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a volunteer for the Mormon Genealogical Library in Mississauga; she passed away on September 12, 1998.