Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 485 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Hat
  View Full size image
Title: Hat
Identifier: 983.12.15
Donor: Mrs. Jean Stager
Item Date: 1930-1945
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Red felt ladies' hat with a wider brim in the front than in the back. The front brim is turned down and the back brim is turned up. The edge of the entire brim is lined with a piece of red ribbon that has been stitched around 4 times. The crown of the hat has a piece of red ribbon around it that meets at the side where it is tied in a bow that has been place vertically. There are two red feathers stuck in the bow. The top of the hat crown is shaped so that it sloped down in the back.

Felt is a non-woven cloth made from pressed and matted fibres. It is made from natural animal fibres and is usually soaked in soapy water and agitated until the fibres form together to make a cloth. Another process for making felt was used from the mid-17th century until the mid-20th century and was called “carroting.” It involved using mercury which led to mercury poisoning in hatters and is the origin of the term “mad as a hatter.” Mercury was banned in the felt industry in 1941 in the United States. Felt can be very soft but is durable and has the ability to be formed into any shape and can be dyed any colour. For more information see _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt_

Mrs. Jean Stager and her late husband Bill, moved to Lorne Park in 1952 and remained there for 43 years. In the mid 1990s they moved to Oakville but remained Charter Members of the Clarkson Road Presbyterian Church. While living in Lorne Park, Mrs. Stager worked on Home and School Society for Lorne Park Public School and was on the Auxiliary of the Mississauga Symphony. She worked as a Nurse at Mississauga Hospital but also for the Victoria Order of Nurses (VON) in Peel. These hats that she donated in the early 1980s, along with other items from this accession, belonged to her mother Mrs. Veitch and were kept in a trunk that was given Mrs. Stager.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851