Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 374 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dress
  View Full size image
Title: Dress
Identifier: X964.58.1a,b
Donor: Unknown
Item Date: 1830-1849
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Turquoise and black fine wool, hand sewn dress that is fully lined. The bodice with a yoke with piping above bust darts, pleats that descend from the yoke to the waist, hook and eye closures in the front, wide scalloped collar and waist trimmed with piping. The sleeves are very full shoulder to wrist and have a tight fitting cuff in a 'a la folle' style. The skirt is gathered at the waist and has a front button close with a scalloped overlay from waist to hem. The hem is trimmed with black tape and a pocket can be found in the skirt on the right side. Has a matching cape (b), hand sewn with a plain neck with hook and eye closures as well as blue ribbon closure, scalloped edge at hem.

For reference see "Handbook of English Costume in 19th Century" by C.W. Cunnington and P. Cunnington, Plays Inc, Boston, 1970 page 400-419.

1830s and 1840s fashion in European and European-influenced clothing is characterized by an emphasis on breadth, initially at the shoulder and later in the hips, in contrast to the narrower silhouettes that had predominated between 1800 and the 1820s. 1830s day dresses generally had high necklines, and shoulder width was emphasized with tippets or wide collars. Sleeves which were very large over most of the arm (but narrowing to a small cuff at the wrist) were also quite distinctive to the day dresses of the 1830s. Skirts were pleated into the waistband of the bodice, and held out with starched petticoats of linen or cotton. _http://www.apparelsearch.com/Definitions/Fashion/1830-1840_Fashion_History.htm_
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850