|Description: Woman's gold moiré dress. A) Bodice, fastened down front by 9 hooks and eyes. Four bows decorate the centre front, the neck is plain. A piece of material runs from the centre back up across each shoulder and diagonally down the front. It is trimmed on each side with a thin strip of green velvet. Each sleeve is trimmed at the middle and end by horizontally attached pieces of moiré. The edge of the bodice dips lower at the centre front and back than at the sides. There is a bow with 2 pieces of velvet ribbon running from it at the centre back. The lower edge of the bodice is trimmed with a thin piece of green velvet. B) Skirt, made of 10 pieces of material sewn together vertically and gathered at the waist to create a fully skirt. There is an opening at the centre back and a set of hooks for fastening the dress at the waist. The skirt is lined with a dark beige material. |
This dress is a great example of a Victorian Era dress with its large skirt (that would have been bell shaped with the hoop skirt underneath), its bell sleeves, bodice top and great detailing. This dress is made of silk in a moiré pattern, which gives it a rippled or 'watered' appearance.
According to Kathleen Hicks' book 'Clarkson and its Many Corners' the donor was the wife of Mr. John A. Robertson, who once was the secretary of the Lakeshore Golf and Country Club originally founded in 1922. This golf course was located in Clarkson with a view of Lake Ontario. It burned down in 1943 but the pro shop was salvaged and turned into a home which still stands today at 1029 Johnson's Lane.