Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1408 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Wedding Dress
  View Full size image
Title: Wedding Dress
Identifier: 2006.5.7.1-11
Donor: Marilyn Varcoe
Item Date: 1915
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: .1) A cream silk skirt with a gathered waist, deep tuck in lower skirt and pearl stitched hem. The waist is ruched using a draw cord. There is a frill above the ruching. A placket is fastened with 6 black snaps.The is sewn with two-ply silk embroidery thread. 2) Cream silk blouse with lace sleeves. The blouse has a square neck, silk bodice with appliquéd lace on the lower bodice and lace sleeves. 8 hooks & eyes fasten the back opening of the blouse. The lace sleeves have silk cuff with no fastening. The entire blouse is machine sewn except for the square neck. .3) Midriff length over-blouse. Sleeveless cream silk over-blouse with square neckline and scalloped hemline. The back fastening which is closed with 5 hooks & eyes. The blouse has unfinished under-arm seams. The blouse is constructed to fit over the lace blouse so that the lace shows below the scallops. .4) Shift. Full length undergarment sleeveless with square neck, gathered bodice and slightly flared skirt. The full bodice is gathered into a waistband. The shift fastens at the back using 6 hooks and eyes; only two hooks & eyes on the bodice, one cured hook for the waist and three 'bar' hooks for the skirt. The top of the back bodice has no hook and eye so perhaps it was fastened with the ribbon threaded through the lace neck edge trim. 5) & 6) Silk sleeves 46 x 19 cm. Unfinished cream silk sleeves, machine sewn underarms with overcast seam edges. The cut edge of the top part of the sleeves hasn't been attached or sewn. The wrist end of the sleeves has a precisely sewn hem, unpicked with holes in fabric where stitching was located. .7) & .8) Lace bands 11 x 16 cm, wider in centre than ends. One band is sewn into a cuff shape. The other is an open piece of lace. The lace is the same as that in sleeves and bodice. .9) Lace band 9 x 40 cm. A raw piece of lace cut from that used for rest of artifact and worn (in picture) around neck. .10) Fabric remnant 7- x 65 (irregular), perhaps silk woven in alternating sheer and solid stripes. Fabric is irregular in shape. .11) Business Card 11.3 x 5.1 cm. Card is printed in black capitals on cream card: "THE NEW YORK LADIES' TAILORS. P. SHAPIRO, PROP. 772 COLLEGE ST. (SHAW STREET CAR STOP) TORONTO. PHONE COLLEGE 2013 OPEN EVENINGS."

The wedding dress was worn by Elizabeth Fieldhouse when she married Cecil Denison on September 29, 1915. She was a seamstress so she may have made the dress herself. Cecil died in 1960 and Elizabeth died in 1974. They are both buried in Spring Creek Cemetery. The outfit is seen in the wedding photograph of Elizabeth Fieldhouse & Cecil Dennison. The Denison family has a long history in Mississauga with five generations living on the original property first settled by William and Hannah Denison upon emigrating from England. They brought four children with them from England and they had four more children when they settled in here. William bought crown land (100 acres) from the QEW to the north and Indian Road to the south. Their son Daniel was born here in 1854 and became the owner of the land. William died in 1880 and Hannah died in 1881.

Daniel married Margaret and they had two sons, Bert and Cecil. Cecil was born in 1887. The land was divided and Cecil was dive the lower portion of the original farm and built a house (1029 Indian Road in Lorne Park) which was completed in 1922. Daniel died in 1914 and Margaret lived with her son Cecil in his house until her death in 1941.

Alan Denison is the son of Cecil and Elizabeth born April 20, 1922 and is the donor's father. He died September 4, 2004. Alan married Evelyn Ward in 1945. She was born May 19, 1920 and died October20, 2001.Alan and Evelyn had four daughters, Marjorie, Marilyn, Freda and Janet. The house at 1029 Indian Road was put up for sale but unfortunately it was demolished some time in 2010 to make way for new development.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850