Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 422 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Fillister Plane
  View Full size image
Title: Fillister Plane
Identifier: X964.100.22
Donor: Unknown
Item Date: 1864-1893
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A wooden fillister plane equipped with screw stop, side cutter, wood fence and an iron blade that is 2 cm wide. Marked on one end "Auburntool Co. Auburn N" and the other end "7/8, No. 177."

Products produced from the Auburn Tool Co. were created by contracting labour from convicts in various New York State prisons. Auburn Tool Co. operated between the years of 1864 to 1893 when a gentleman by the name of George Casey reorganized his firm of Casey, Clark and Co. to the Auburn Tool Co. This company was one of the leading manufactures of planes in United States but also produced plane irons as well as skates. On November 14, 1893 the Auburn Tool Company merged with the Ohio Tool Company of Columbus, Ohio, and continued to manufacture planes under the Ohio Tool Company name.

A fillister plane is a special kind of rabbit or 'rebate' plane that cuts a groove with the grain at the edge of wood that is equal in size to the width of the plane iron. It has an attached fence that sits at the width of the groove that can be adjusted.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851