|Description: A round fitted doll's hat with a wide band folding back at the front and ending in a narrow folded band at the back. There are pleats on each side of the crown. The stitching of one pleat has separated, leaving a hole in one side (1 x 2 cm). Stitches are broken at the seam line between the crown and brim from hole in side to front. A straight pin remains at this point, holding both sections together. The hat is stained and dirty. |
Margaret Miller née Martin has lived in Mississauga since 1970 on Fellmore Drive. She now resides at a Seniors Home in Meadowvale. Mrs. Miller was born in Toronto in 1930. Her parents, John William Martin (d. 1972) and Beatrice May née Gledhill (d. 1988) both emigrated from England. They met while working in a woollen mill in St. Thomas, Ontario. They moved to Salem Avenue in the 'Annex' area of Toronto and had two daughters, Dorothy (1923-2005) and Margaret. The dolls donated belonged to Margaret although a few were originally her sister's. Most of the clothing was made by her sister, Dorothy, or had been given to either of them.
Margaret attended Teachers College and worked as a teacher for a number of years in North York. She later worked as a receptionist for the Ontario Government for close to 25 years. She married George 'Vernon' Miller (1928-1982) in 1965.
Dorothy Jeffries née Martin (1923-2005) worked as a missionary in the Philippines during the 1950s which unfortunately lead to many tropical diseases for her including malaria. She trained many of the younger missionaries how to look after children and the families. The dolls that Margaret has donated are typical of dolls available across Canada including Mississauga.