|Description: A wooden handle with square sides and lines marked for measurement in inches on one side. There is a wooden block with two straight sides and two rounded sides. A square is cut vertically through the centre of the block and a hole for a screw is cut horizontally through one of the straight sides. There is also a small wooden screw with a head having two flat sides and a rounded top. |
The name 'J. Welsh' is stamped in two spots. This tool is from John Gordon Cameron's Carpenter's Chest, the donor's great-grandfather. The tools and chest are from the early 1800s. J. G. Cameron was a builder by trade and settled in Seaton Village, which is now part of Toronto. He married Wilhemina Ross. The chest was then passed down to his son, John Gordon Cameron (1841-1903), who was also a builder and worked on the Church of the Redeemer, the Church of the Messiah, and the old Toronto City Hall. The tools were made by both the donor's great-grandfather and grandfather.