Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 309 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cricket Bat
  View Full size image
Title: Cricket Bat
Identifier: 993.1.4 a
Donor: Thompson Adamson
Item Date: 1880-1930
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: .a) A cricket bat made of wood. The handle is cylindrical (31.0 x 4.0 cm), and wrapped with fine black linen cord. The cord is waxed and the top end is fastened with a small steel pin. At the lower end, about 2.7 cm depth of cording is missing. There are residues of white paint in a diagonal pattern on the cording. The bat has a rounded tip, about 3 cm thick. The face is slightly convex. The back is graduated convex, 1.3 cm thick at the top edge, 5.5 cm thick at the centre, 16 c. from the tip. There are whitish residues of adhesive on the lower half of the bat, on the face side, the edges, and for about 2.5 cm on the edges of the back side. The wood veneers on the face are warped and broken. There are small gouges, scratches, and paint flecks overall. On the butt of the handle is impressed an "E." On the face, at the top on both sides, is burned "Shaw & Shrewsbury --Makers-- Nottingham, England." On the face, at the top, centre lengthwise is burned: "Pitirrate Double Spliced Spring Handle." On the face, below the spring, burned is "Trademark (Kangaroo holding cricket bat, and an emu) Mark, Extra Special." On the back at the top proper right, in black ink is: "BS" in a curvilinear script. On the back at the top centre on an angle rising to the proper left, is burned "Arthur Shrewsbury."

Cricket is a ball and bat sport played by two opposing teams of eleven players and played on a grass field. Cricket traditionally dates back to the sixteenth century in England, but may have earlier and differing origins. The game gained much popularity during the seventeenth century, when it became an organized activity and the first professional players appeared. By the mid to late eighteenth century, Cricket was a national sport in England and even held international games, for example the first in 1844 between Canada and the United States. The two decades before the First World War were known as the "Golden Age" of the game. Today, over 120 nations enjoy the sport.

For more information, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

The cricket bat was donated by Thompson Adamson (1912-2001). Adamson was a descendant of Dr Joseph Adamson, a founder of St Peter's Church. Thompson's family farm was situated where the Erindale High School and the Police Station are today. He wrote several historical pieces such as "175 Years of History 1825-2000 St Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale" (Erindale: St Peter's Anglican Church, 2000). Adamson was also Past President of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a member of the Streetsville Historical Society. He received several awards including the Provincial Award from the Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850