|Description: The cannonballs are made of steel and have a mottled texture. They are sitting in a small wooden holder. |
The cannonballs were donated by Thompson Adamson (1912-2001). Adamson was a descendant of Dr Joseph Adamson, a founder of St Peter's Church. Thompson's family farm was situated where the Erindale High School and the Police Station are today. He wrote several historical pieces such as "175 Years of History 1825-2000 St Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale" (Erindale: St Peter's Anglican Church, 2000). Adamson was also Past President of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a member of the Streetsville Historical Society. He received several awards including the Provincial Award from the Ontario Heritage Foundation. He found the cannonballs (b, c) in Erindale and Park Royal (a). There is some speculation that these cannonballs may have been fired during annual training musters of the local militia. The smaller one is believed to have been fired from a ship, perhaps during the War of 1812.