|Description: A u-shaped wooden and iron brace and bit. There is a wooden handle on one end and a long bit on the other. There is a wooden spindle in the middle of the crank, which allows the user to turn it freely and easily by hand. |
The brace and bit is a hand tool used to drill holes, especially in wood. Iron braces first emerged in the fifteenth century and were most likely made of wood. A singular feature of the factory-made iron braces is that the foot was sometimes extended upwards and terminated in a short standing about a half inch. Its purpose is still unknown although it does enable the brace to be hung securely on a nail or on the edge. See: R.A. Salaman "Dictionary of Woodworking Tools: c.1700-1970" (Newton, Connecticut: The Taunton Press, 1990), 96.
The brace and bit was donated by Thompson Adamson (1912-2001). Adamson was a descendant of Dr Joseph Adamson, a founder of St Peter's Church. Thompson's family farm was situated where the Erindale High School and the Police Station are today. He wrote several historical pieces such as, “175 Years of History 1825-2000 St Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale” (Erindale: St Peter's Anglican Church, 2000). Adamson was also Past President of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a member of the Streetsville Historical Society. He received several awards including the Provincial Award from the Ontario Heritage.