|Description: A large black and white photograph with white borders all around. A photograph of NHL player Bobby Hull standing on the ice rink at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens and posing for pictures with two unidentified Toronto Township hockey players. Mr. Hull is standing in the middle of the two young players and he is wearing a light coloured, collared dress shirt with a dark neck tie. He is also wearing hockey gloves and holding a hockey stick. Standing to Mr. Hull's proper right is a young boy sitting on top of the hockey boards and wearing a hockey sweater marked "Malton Minor Hockey Assoc." Standing on the other side of Mr. Hull is a boy, older than the other boy, wearing a hockey sweater marked "Buckeye". |
It was a common occurrence for Toronto Township Hockey Players to visit Maple Leaf Gardens on a Saturday to meet members of the NHL.
The Toronto Township Hockey League was formed in 1946 with Cooksville, Streetsville, Erindale, Clarkson, Lorne Park, Cloverleaf, Burnhamthorpe, Malton and Lakeview. The league had five divisions and the first President was Alf McCallum. There were 45 teams by 1950 and the Junior 'B' team called the Dixie Flashers (later Dixie Beehives) was entered in to the Ontario Hockey Association. In 1956, the league became affiliated with the Toronto Hockey League. In 1968, the Toronto Township Hockey League became the Mississauga Hockey League (MHL) with 400 teams registered and playing across Ontario by 1972, ensuring that people of all ages could take part in the game. Today, the MHL is divided into 8 regional associations.