|Description: A black and white photograph of a sketch or painting of the Mississauga Valley Community Centre. The title "Mississauga Valley Community Centre Phase 2 Main Entrance" is visible on the bottom of the photo. The image shows the Community Centre surrounded by trees and a parking lot with people walking to and from the main building. |
Discussions about creating a Mississauga Valley Community Centre complex began in 1974. In 1975, the architectural firm Dunlop, Farrow & Aitken set forth a proposal for a centre which included an arena, library, auditorium, restaurant, skating rink and much more. The Mississauga Valley Community Centre officially opened September 22, 1979. The library was not set to open until 1980. In late 1979, a drive to collect books was held by Beavers and Scouts of the 52nd Mississauga Scouters, who first collected 8000 books and later, another 5000. Thus, on January 26, 1980 under the presiding Mayor Hazel McCallion the library was dubbed the 'Library that PEOPLE built' and opened with a gathering of 1000 people.