|Description: A handwritten letter dated May 4, 1882 in black ink on slightly off-white paper which has been folded in half. The letter is from W. (William?) Harris of King's House, Kingston, Jamaica. The salutation is to "Dear Martha". The letter describes Mr. Harris's work as the superintendent of Gardens and Grounds of the Governor's Residence. It refers to family in England. At the top proper left of the front page, handwritten in pencil is the number "120". At the bottom proper right of the back page handwritten upside down in blue ink is the number "120". These numbers likely were added by the transcriber. |
These notes were collected by Kathleen Sayers, wife of Geoffrey Sayers, whose interest in family history led her to transcribe original papers, letters, newspaper clippings, transcripts and research notes relating to Geoffrey's lineage. Geoffrey was the great grandson of James Beveridge Harris and Elizabeth Molony Harris and grandson of Arthur and Mary Harris.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public.