Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 335 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Divider or Caliper
  View Full size image
Title: Divider or Caliper
Identifier: 975.3.2
Donor: Noble McGirr
Item Date: 1825-1875
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A round joint attached to calipers. It has a curved piece of metal that is attached to the left caliper and runs through to the right caliper. Extending from the right caliper is a small metal handle.

The first blacksmiths in Canada were brought in by the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1670s. Most of these men were from England and helped build trading posts as well as make and repair goods. Early blacksmiths were considered artisans, developing their craft into a refined skill. By the 1850s, blacksmith shops were becoming very common and one blacksmith did all the ironwork; the product was less refined and individual craftsmen were few and far between. Blacksmiths were particularly important in newly developed towns, especially if they were near a railway line. The blacksmith was responsible for shoeing horses and repairing wagon wheels; they were also responsible for making and repairing all tools for agriculture, cattle rearing, fishing, forestry, heating, transportation, decoration and surveying.

The earliest known Compass was found on Shipwreck off the Italian Island of Giglio dated to around 600 B.C.. The Chinese started making compasses around the year 200 B.C. In 1851 American Joseph R. Brown created the first cheap and precise compasses.

Information obtained at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851