Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 104 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Booklet: A Relic of Old Decency
  View Full size image
Title: Booklet: A Relic of Old Decency
Identifier: 2005.1.155.1
Donor: Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers
Item Date: 1963
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Booklet printed on glossy white cardboard. Title is "A Relic of Old Decency" by John and Blanche E. Barnett. It is a 144 year history of the old homestead of Warren Clarkson, on Clarkson Road. The booklet has 16 pages. The front has a black and white photo of the house with five adults and two children standing in front of it. The authors of the booklet have owned the Clarkson property since 1936. The booklet was printed by MacNair publishing of Clarkson. At the top of the front cover, handwritten in dark blue ink is "Kay Sayers".

Major John Barnett was an avid local historian. He and his wife, Blanche, owned the Warren Clarkson home and were dedicated to its restoration. Major Barnett wrote many articles and gave presentations on the heritage of the Clarkson area. The Mississauga Library's Local Archives holds material from his collection include: newspaper clippings, books, scrapbooks, handwritten and typewritten lecture notes etc.

Warren Clarkson and his brother Joshua left their home in Albany, New York in 1808 to seek their fortunes in Canada. He worked hard and saved enough money to buy land and build a home. Warren married and began to raise a family. As the years went by, he bought more land. He built the community's first general store along the stagecoach trail. Fifteen years later the town council named this trail Clarkson Road and the area became known as Clarkson's Corners. A post office was opened in the family store and William Clarkson, Warren's son became the postmaster. For the next forty-five years a member of the Clarkson family would run the post office. Clarkson community never grew vary large. It had a few houses and shops along Clarkson Road, a railway station, a school and a church. Today the community and the surrounding area consists mostly of a mix of upper and middle class homes.

The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts, and research notes compiled and transcribed by Kathleen and Geoffrey Sayers.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851