|Description: A letter to the Secretary of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, Toronto accepting an invitation for the evening of October 10th, 1865. Written in ink on beige paper. It appears to be a draft of the letter to be sent. The back of the letter has pencil calculations. The letter has brown stains on the edges. |
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club was founded in 1852, in the British tradition of a recreational yachting club that would serve unofficially as an auxiliary to the British navy in the defence of the waters of Lake Ontario. Established under the name of the Toronto Boat Club, with Queen Victoria's permission, the club was renamed the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in 1854. Long associated with the Toronto Islands, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club did not move there until 1881, first occupying various locations on the Toronto waterfront. The first island clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1904. Its successor, officially opened in 1906, was also irreparably damaged by fire in 1918. On August 25, 1919, Edward, Prince of Wales laid the corner stone for the gracious two-story Southern-style clubhouse that has been the RCYC's summer home ever since. There is also a City Clubhouse in Toronto.
These papers were collected by Kathleen Sayers, wife of Geoffrey Sayers, whose interest in family history led her to transcribe original papers, letters, newspaper clippings, transcripts and research notes relating to Geoffrey's lineage.