|Description: A tiny blue doll's dress with yoke front and gathered skirt. Arm holes have a 1 cm band. The neckline is round and trimmed with white lace and pink machine stitches. All stitches are in pink thread. The lace trim is torn away from the neckline for 2 cm at the back. There is a 7 cm back opening. There are no buttons or snaps. |
Lawn is a plain weave textile, originally linen but now chiefly cotton. The term 'lawn' is derived from 'Loan', a city in France which was a large manufacturer of linen lawn. Lawn is designed using fine, high count yarns, which results in a silky feel. Lawn is a lightweight, sheer cloth known for its semi-transparency. It is commonly used to produce dresses, blouses, nightwear, underwear, lingerie, curtains, collar cuffs, shirting, infant wear and handkerchiefs. REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_cloth visited Aug. 2, 2007.
Margaret Miller née Martin has lived in Mississauga since 1970 on Fellmore Drive. She now resides at a Seniors Home in Meadowvale. Mrs. Miller was born in Toronto in 1930. Her parents, John William Martin (d. 1972) and Beatrice May née Gledhill (d. 1988) both emigrated from England. They met while working in a woollen mill in St. Thomas, Ontario. They moved to Salem Avenue in the "Annex" area of Toronto and had two daughters, Dorothy (1923-2005) and Margaret. The dolls donated belonged to Margaret although a few were originally her sister's. Most of the clothing was made by her sister, Dorothy, or had been given to either of them.
Margaret attended Teachers College and worked as a teacher for a number of years in North York. She later worked as a receptionist for the Ontario Government for close to 25 years. She married George 'Vernon' Miller (1928-1982) in 1965.
Dorothy Jeffries née Martin (1923-2005) worked as a missionary in the Philippines during the 1950s which unfortunately lead to many tropical diseases for her including malaria. She trained many of the younger missionaries how to look after children and the families. The dolls that Margaret has donated are typical of dolls available across Canada including Mississauga.