Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 445 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Fruit Crate + Lid
  View Full size image
Title: Fruit Crate + Lid
Identifier: 2008.12.50a-b
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1915-1925
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Wooden fruit crate with matching lid. The ends of the crate are made up of 5 tongue and groove vertical boards 2 cm thick and of varying widths. The sides are made of three horizontal tongue and groove boards 1cm thick and of varying widths. The bottom is four 1cm thick boards. On the bottom at each end there is a 5 cm x 45 cm board to reinforce the base. These boards are split and pieces broken off. The ends are reinforced at the top by a 3.5 cm x 2 cm board. These two top boards have a half-inch groove cut in them to receive the latch that is attached to the lid. The lid of the crate is made up of 4 boards (1cm thick) braced at each end with a 3.5 cm x 2 cm board. These bracing boards each have a thin metal rod in them - bent in an 'l' shape. These rods can be rotated and form the latches which fit into the grooves on the end of the crate. Stamped on each side of the crate: "J.H. Pinchin & Sons" Riviere Farm Streetsville, R.R.I.

This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.

The Pinchin family had a farm located on the east side of Mississauga Road (4415 Mississauga Road) and operated a commercial orchard from the 1930s until 2005 selling various kinds of apples and pears. J.H. Pinchin was also a member of the Toronto Township Centennial Committee in 1950.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850