|Description: The cast iron wagon wheel jack that has a base of 10.5 x 16cm with flanges attached to a centre hollow pillar cast as one piece. A cog wheel at the top of the centre pillar has 26 teeth and a centre hole with screw threads which allow the mach screw-stem to emerge from the centre pillar. The pillar has oblong cut-outs 1.8 x 6 cm just above the base. The screw-stem has a diameter of 3 cm and is approximately 26cm long. It has a 5cm square plate 0.8 cm thick with a 22 cm hole inside which the screw-stem is attached. A side cog wheel with 20 teeth intersects with the horizontal cog wheel. The side cogwheel is held in place with a bolt, the head of which measures 3.3 cm. This bolt also attached the handle and ratchet mechanism. The handle connector has a hollow rectangular centre 2.8 x 10 cm into which a metal bar or piece of wood would fit and allow the ratchet to work. At right angles to the handle connector is flange at the end of which is bolted a 2-way ratchet allowing the ratchet plate to fit into the teeth either way to raise or lower the jack. On handle connector is "SJ675." Near the top of centre pillar: "No.18" and above that just below the cogwheel indistinct is "JG" or "16". On ratchet flange "3" on main stem and ratchet handle. |
This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.
James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated after the potato famine to Quebec where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his fathers at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.
The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|