|Description: A brown covered book entitled "Toronto of Old: Collections and Recollections" by Henry Scadding. Book has gold lettering and coat of arms on front surrounded by a black border. There are newspaper articles, cards, letters, etc. in between the pages. Note: Most pages appear to have at least one article, quite often more than one. |
Henry Scadding (July 29, 1813-May 6, 1901) was a Canadian author and clergyman. He was born in Dunkeswell, Devon, England, and migrated to Canada with his parents in 1821. He was educated at Upper Canada College and at St. John's College at Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, from which he graduated in 1837. He was the first boy enrolled at Upper Canada College and has a Day Boy House named after him there. In 1838 he was appointed to a tutorship at Upper Canada College and was ordained a priest of the Church of England. In 1847 he became rector of the Church of the Holy Trinity, a post he held until 1875. He was also a canon of St. James' Cathedral. He edited the Canadian Journal of Science, Literature, and History from 1868 to 1878, and also published many books. He was principally interested in history and religious themes.
Scadding Cabin, Toronto's oldest existing home was built in 1794 for John Scadding (Henry's father) who accompanied Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe to Upper Canada in 1792. Scadding Cabin was moved to the CNE grounds from the east bank of the Don River in 1879 by the York Pioneer and Historical Society, which is still responsible for its operation. The move was part of the celebrations marking the inauguration of the Toronto Industrial Exhibition (forerunner of the CNE). In 1986 the cabin was designated as historically significant under the Ontario Heritage Act. REF:http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Scadding; www.explace.on.ca/V10.html.