|Description: An electric student lamp with a milk glass shade. The main body of the lamp is made out of metal (silver?) slender pole that has a small ring at the top and circular base on the bottom. One side of the pole has a cylindrical container that is once held kerosene or oil (?). The other side of pole hangs the burner or font with the milk glass shade. An electrical plug and wire are attached to the lamp under the shade. |
The lamp was likely a kerosene lamp that was later converted to an electrical one. Benares did not have electricity until 1913. The lamp was likely used by Geoffrey Sayers.
Geoffrey Harris Sayers, was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (née Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he served from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artefacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.