|Description: A black and white photograph entitled 'Queen Mary's Bath House, Edinburgh. 326.' with the photographer's insignia. It depicts a street lined with old stone buildings. In the background of the photo is a cityscape with the same type of buildings. In the proper right of the photo a man stands at the top of a ladder that is leaning against a building. In the proper left is a man sitting on a horse drawn carriage. |
Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and is the home to the Parliament of Scotland. The city is divided into two different sections, the New Town and the Old Town. Old Town is the medieval in origin while New Town dates to the 18th century. Together they are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The New Town is now the major home of the shopping and entertainment areas, while the Old Town is near Holyrood and contains most of the political and business areas. Queen Maryís Bath House is located on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. The small turreted stone structure was once attached to the boundary wall which enclosed the Kingís Privy Garden at Holyrood Palace. It is said to be the place where Mary, Queen of Scots used to bathe is sweet white wine though it is more likely that it was used as a summer home or dovecot. http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/interest/queenmarys-bathhouse.html
Travelerís in the 1870ís could not take their own photographs, so professional photographers would create albums with photos like these and sell them to travelers to commemorate their journey. In 1871 Elizabeth (Bessie) and Annie Harris (daughters of James Beveridge and Elizabeth) traveled to Europe to do a tour of Scotland, Ireland and England. In 1876, Lucy and Arthur Harris traveled to Scotland to visit their aunts in Perthshire. James Beveridge Harrisís sisters, Margaret Patton and Matilda Lindsay, both lived at Rose Terrace, Perth, with their cousin Margaret Anne Patton in the 1870s and 1880s. These photos could have come from any of those trips or have been sent by the Aunts, to the family at Benares.