Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 761 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph: Dunolly Castle from Kerrara, Oban
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph: Dunolly Castle from Kerrara, Oban
Identifier: 2001.5.32
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1870-1876
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph titled “Dunolly Castle from Kerrara, Oban 2802 J,V.” It depicts a lake with the ruins of a castle on the tree lined hill in the background. On the lake is a sail boat with four sales. A shadowed man stands at the stern of the boat. Some small building sit at the base of the hill the castle is situated on.

Dunolly Castle is located on the northern outskirts of Oban on the west coast of Scotland. It was the seat of the MacDougalls, the Lords of Lorne, who once owned a third of Scotland. Kerrera is a small island in the Scottish Inner Hebrides, close to the town of Oban.

This print was likely produced by Valentines of Dundee (J.V). Valentines of Dundee was a well-known photographic company which produced Scottish topographical views from the 1860s, and later became internationally famous as the producers of picture postcards. They were founded in 1851 by James Valentine (1815-1879). He added portrait photography to the activities of his established Dundee business, which had been based up to 1851 on the engraving, printing and supply of business stationery. About 1860 he decided to emulate the success of George Washington Wilson in Aberdeen in selling topographical view photographs. In 1866 James Valentine carried out his first Royal commission and received the Royal warrant in 1867. Valentine’s target market in the nineteenth century was middle and upper class tourists. Valentine produced both drawing room albums containing selections of photographs arranged geographically and individual landscape prints. Stereoscopic views were also produced. Subjects concentrated on the genteel tourist sights and places in Scotland, then to England in 1882 and on to fashionable resorts abroad, including Norway, Jamaica, Tangiers, Morocco, Madeira and New Zealand before 1900. Under the leadership of James’ son William the company rapidly expanded in 1898 when in started publishing picture postcards. It closed for business in the 1970’s. http://archiveshub.ac.uk/features/03021901.html

Traveler’s in the 1870’s could not take their own photographs, so professional photographers would create albums with photos like these and sell them to travelers to commemorate their journey. In 1871 Elizabeth (Bessie) and Annie Harris (daughters of James Beveridge and Elizabeth) traveled to Europe to do a tour of Scotland, Ireland and England. In 1876, Lucy and Arthur Harris traveled to Scotland to visit their aunts in Perthshire. James Beveridge Harris’s sisters, Margaret Patton and Matilda Lindsay, both lived at Rose Terrace, Perth, with their cousin Margaret Anne Patton in the 1870s and 1880s. These photos could have come from any of those trips or have been sent by the Aunts, to the family at Benares.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850