Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 84 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book – “Arabella’s Letters”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “Arabella’s Letters”
Identifier: 2003.2.53
Donor: Barbara Larson
Item Date: 1934
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A book entitled “Arabella's Letters - Together With the Contents of Her Small Diary 1823-1828”, by Arabella M. Stuart. It was published by the Musson Book Company in Toronto. It is a grey linen hard covered book, with the title and a small label on the front cover. The label reads “Henry Morgan and Co., Limited BOOK DEPT.” A hand written inscription at the front reads “Darling Sister, Very many happy returns, your ever loving Min, Minnie Crickmore, June 15th 1934”.

The book was given to Mary Harris by her sister Minnie in 1934. Isabel Minnie Magrath Crickmore (1860-1940) was the youngest sister of Mary. Affectionately known as Minnie, Isabel and her sisters were raised at Erindale Estate by their aunt, Anna Cordelia (1819-1895), after their mother's death. Isabel married Edwin Crickmore in 1887 at St. Peter’s Anglican Church in Erindale; the couple were the last one to get married in the original St. Peter's Anglican old wooden frame church. Together they had five children.

Henry Morgan immigrated to Montreal from Saline, Scotland in 1844. At 25 years of age, he dreamed of establishing a commercial dry goods business on this side of the Atlantic. His dream became a reality when he established a dry goods store with his partner David Smith in 1845. His brother James, who lived in Glasgow was responsible for purchasing goods for the Smith and Morgan Company. In 1850, the association with Smith ended. Henry invited his brother James to join him in Montreal, and the two formed Henry Morgan and Company. Business prospered so much that in 1853, they moved from Notre Dame Street to larger quarters on McGill Street. Four generations ran this prosperous family business in Montreal. In 1960, descendants sold Morgan's store to the Hudson Bay Company. See: http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/chm/clic/morgan.htm.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851