Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 465 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Greeting Card: Winnie Radenhurst to Kathleen Sayers August 20 1974
  View Full size image
Title: Greeting Card: Winnie Radenhurst to Kathleen Sayers August 20 1974
Identifier: 2004.2.270 a-b
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1974
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A greeting card, dated at Rideau Lake, Aug. 20th, /74 (1947) with a long handwritten note in black ink. (a) The card contains a sketch on the front of Inge-Va, the Radenhurst family home. It is addressed to Mrs. Sayers, from Winnie Radenhurst. (b) A small blue sheet of paper found tucked inside the card. It reads, "Archibald Campbell - brother of 3rd Duke of Argyle - officer in 42nd Reg. - came to New York 1756 - was in business - had his stables ? Burned - it was ruined - discovered as a U.E. Loyalist - was banished from Country - came to Montreal - engaged in fur - received as a U.E. Loyalist and given allocation of land in Adolphustown and was Clerk of Township for four years - 1795-6-7-8. Copied from letter of U.C.Osborne also a descendent of Archibald Campbell."

Inge-Va (pronounced inju-vu), is located in Perth, Ontario and was built in 1823 by Reverend Michael Harris. Michael Harris was the first Episcopalian Minister in the district. In 1833 the house was purchased by lawyer Thomas Mabon Radenhurst. He married his cousin, Lucy Edith Ridout in 1834, and they had 10 children, four of whom survived past their thirties. Inge-Va became the Radenhurst family home.

In 1988 the Ontario Heritage Foundation uncovered a cache of household items in an archaeological dig. It is believed that the items were buried en-masse in 1870’s to guard against the spread of Tuberculosis and Typhoid Fever illnesses which took the lives of several of the Radenhurst family members. This discovery helps paint a vivid depiction of a 19th century household.

The house was sold by the Radenhurst’s around 1894 and purchased by the Inderwicks. They named the house Inge-Va, a Tamil word meaning “come here”. Their son, Cyril, grew up in the house and believed that it should be turned over to a government agency to be preserved. In 1974, his widow gave Inge-Va to the Ontario Heritage Foundation. Today, Inge-Va is still owned by the OHF and administered by the Town of Perth. Custodial tenants look after the building and grounds, and a volunteer board of directors oversees the operations. The building and site is used to house artifacts and is available for tours and rentals.. REF: www.town.perth.on.ca.

The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850