Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 350 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Document: Property Indenture
  View Full size image
Title: Document: Property Indenture
Identifier: 2004.2.281
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1844
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: An agreement between James Magrath and Frances Robert Cotter, concerning property in Ireland. The indenture is on lined paper, larger than legal size. The indenture is folded, with handwriting in black ink and pencil on the back of the document. It reads, 'Dated 24 July 1844. Magrath to Magrath, [?], of Appointment.' The pencil writing is hard to read. It reads, "? To grand fathers, ?, M. Harris grand-daughters 1942." The indenture is 4 pages in length, with quite a few sections crossed out and corrections made throughout. Clearly, this is a rough draft, not meant to be a legal document, as it is also not signed. The back of the first page has part of the opening statement written out in pencil, with more corrections. There are ink blots periodically throughout. On the back of other pages are more pencil marks, some mathematical equations. In the top left corner is a blue ribbon, meant to hold the four pages together, but is loose.

Reverend James Magrath (1766-1851) was from a family with a long tradition of producing Irish Protestant ministers. During the Reformation, Mile Magrath left the Catholic Church to become the Archbishop of Cashel, appointed by Queen Elizabeth I. James Magrath would follow in this tradition and graduated from Trinity College, Dublin in 1790. Reverend Magrath emigrated to Upper Canada from Ireland in 1827 at the age of 58,. He was the first rector of St. Peter’s Anglican Church also know as the Toronto Mission. Reverend Macgrath settled on land north of Dundas Street which he named 'Erindale'. Later the village of Springfield would become Erindale named after the Magrath property. Magrath lived with his wife, Mary (she died in 1839), and his four sons and one daughter. The family also held properties in Ireland. Reverend Magrath died in 1851 at the age of 82.

The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851