|Description: A handwritten will in black ink by a professional calligraphist which is folded in quarters. The middle page is typewritten. The front page has a standard format, with blanks that were filled in. The top reads: "Canada. Province of Ontario. In Her Majesty's Surrogate Court of the County of York." The will was prepared on the 16 January 1899 for Alexander Grant, late of the city of Toronto in the County of York and province of Ontario, Barrister at Law, deceased, who died on or about the fifteenth day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and ninety eight at Toronto -._ The executors were Mary Edith & Amy Grant, Spinsters, his two daughters. The bottom left corner bears a red seal, with the signature of Joseph Faith, the Registrar, next to it. The second page, attached by a metal (brass?) clip, is typewritten and states that everything is to be left to his daughters Mary Edith & Amy Grant (Amelia), dated 1st May 1897. Signed again by Joseph Faith. The back of the will has a purple stamp that acknowledges that the document was entered into the registry office in May of 1909. Pen squiggle marks through this stamp. The centre has ink writing reading: Surrogate Court. PROBATE, (12995 140) of the last will & testament of Alexander Grant late of the City of Toronto - Deceased. Enregistered in : Liber XXVII, Folis - 518, Fees - $25.95, Received Joseph Faith, Registrar 3.30. |
Alexander Grant was born April 28th 1813 and was the Registrar of the Court of Chancery of Upper Canada and Ontario, and later the Registrar of the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He was an official at Osgoode Hall (Toronto University). He was married to Annie Radenhurst. Grant’s daughter Mary Edith Grant (1849-1912) was a long time resident of Toronto and close friend of Kate Sayers, Helen Sayers and Edith Draper. Kate Sayers (nee Draper) was Beverly Draper Sayers mother and mother-in-law to Annie Sayers neé Harris.
The item is part of a box of original papers, letters, transcripts and research notes complied and transcribed by Geoffrey and Kathleen Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves. Along with sisters Dora Sayers and Barbara Sayers Larson, Geoff donated Benares to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.