|Description: A pair of white garter clasps with metal frames. There is a 1 cm wide band of white webbed fabric to which is glued a white rubber button. .1) has the word "CELLO" engraved on the metal frame. .2) is identical, but without the engraved letters. |
Garter clips are used to attach stockings to the suspenders of a garter belt. A garter belt is a woman’s garment worn around the waist with two or three suspenders attached on each side. It is worn to keep stocking from slipping down the legs.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artefacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.