|Description: A small faint aquamarine rectangular shaped plastic box with the words, "First Aid for Stockings" engraved in gold on top. The borders have a dot and dash design engraved in gold. Inside there are three needles and nine spools of thread of various colours such as dark grey, light pink, pearly white, pale green and different shades of beige. The spools are 4.2 cm in length and 20 cm in circumference. "Majalet" is written on both ends of the spools. The three needles are pinned to a white round cloth glued to the lid of the plastic box. |
This is one of various brands of kits sold to aid in the repair of nylon stockings. Each kit would contain needles, pins and nylon thread in a variety of colours. Women were required to wear stockings. During the war years (when nylon was not available) or when money was tight it was not feasible to buy new stockings so the ability to repair stockings was important.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers. Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloton) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf of the Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artefacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.