Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 159 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book - “The Presence of God in His Temple”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “The Presence of God in His Temple”
Identifier: 979.6.1365
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1872
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A brown hard covered book of 312 pages (plus advertising) entitled "The Presence of God in His Temple". The lettering is gold. The fly leaves are green velour. Inside is inscribed: "Margt. Patton".

Charles John Vaughan (August 16, 1816 - October 15, 1897) was an English scholar and churchman, an eloquent preacher and an able writer on theological subjects, his numerous works including lectures, commentaries and sermons; he was joint author with the Rev. John Llewellyn Davies - also a well-known Cambridge scholar and Broad Churchman - of a well-known translation of Plato's 'Republic'. Vaughan was elected headmaster of Harrow School, but resigned the headship in 1859 over a scandal that remained secret until the 20th century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_John_Vaughan visited Jan. 9, 2008.

The book belonged to Margaret Patton (née Harris) (-1877). Margaret Harris Patton was Captain James Beveridge Harris's (1797-1884) sister who married her first cousin, James Murray Patton, of Perthshire, Scotland. Margaret, and her sister Matilda Lindsay (née Harris) (-1887), often sent ‘Canada Boxes’ filled with gifts, clothing, books, and credit to the Harris family at Benares.
The Harrises have had a long tradition with the Marshall and Patton families of Scotland. Major General John Harris (1797-1884) married one of Thomas Hay Marshall’s (1772-1788) daughters, Margaret Marshall. Thomas Hay Marshall of Glenalmond was Lord Provost of Perth and contacted the Earl of Breadalbane for a commission for his brother-in-law John Harris, R.A., in the 5th Battalion to be formed under the command of Major General Drummond in 1794. Thomas was also a cousin to James Patton of Cairnies, a prosperous Perth merchant and lawyer who married another one of his daughters, Ann Marshall.
After the death of Thomas Hay Marshall, Glenalmond Estate was bequeathed to James Patton, who bought the remaining land in 1808. James died in 1831, dividing his land up between his sons, James Murray (-1853), Thomas (-1869), and George (-1869). James Murray Patton inherited part of Glenalmond Estate with his brother, Thomas Patton; George, inherited Cairnies. James Murray Patton would later marry Margaret Harris (-1877), the daughter of Major General John Harris and sister of Captain James Beveridge Harris (1797-1884). James Murray Patton was therefore a first cousin to the Harris family as were his brothers George and Thomas, and sister Margaret Anne.
When Thomas Patton died in 1869, the whole estate passed on to his brother George Patton, then Lord Chief Justice Clerk. The same year, George committed suicide due to political and personal pressure, and Glenalmond was given to his widow. After her death, the estate was passed on to George’s sister, Margaret Anne Patton (-1878) in 1873. She eventually willed her property to her nephews Thomas Marshall Harris Jr. (1828-ca.1900) and Henry William Hall Harris (1849-ca.1900), who had both distinguished British military careers. They were also Arthur Harris’s first cousins. Arthur was supposed to inherit Glenalmond but because he would inherit Benares, the aunts believed his cousins should acquire the estate since they had no property.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851