Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 113 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book - “Life in Mexico During A Residence of Two Years in That Country”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “Life in Mexico During A Residence of Two Years in That Country”
Identifier: 979.6.1384
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1843
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A brown hard covered book entitled "Life in Mexico". The title is written in gold letters on the spine. There is a handwritten inscription in black ink reading: "Crolweley E. Dering".

Madame "Fanny" Calderon De La Barca (1804-1882) was born Frances Erskine Inglis in Edinburgh in 1804. As a child she lived in Normandy and America. She married Don Angel Calderon de la Barca, a Spaniard, in 1838. The same year her husband was appointed Minister to Mexico. The letters she wrote while in Cuba and Mexico were collected by a friend and became the manuscript for Life in Mexico. The book was published in 1843 and was considered accurate enough that it was used as a guide by American Officers during the 1847 Mexican War. From 1843 to 1853 Fanny and her husband lived in Washington where he was Minister. In 1853 they moved to Spain when her husband became the Minister of Foreign Affairs. In 1854 Fanny published articles containing attacks against the government under the persona of a German diplomat. In that same year she and her husband had to flee Spain because of an uprising against the government. After her husbands death Fanny lived in a convent in France and then returned to Spain and upon the request of Queen Isabella educated the Queen’s youngest daughter Infanta Isabella. When the Bourbon rulers returned to Spain Fanny was made a Marquesa and lived in Madrid until her death in 1882. http://etrc.lib.umn.edu/travbio.htm
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851