|Description: A clear moulded (flint?) glass salt cellar with a round foot and a short hexagonal stem. The handle of the salt is round with six 'petals' of glass extending out from the rim of the salt. It has a three piece mould.
History: Flint glass has a relatively high refractive index making it sparkle and shine. The term 'flint' glass derives from the flint nodules found in the chalk deposits of southeast England that were used as a source of high purity silica by George Ravenscroft, circa 1662, to produce a potash lead glass that was the predecessor to English lead crystal.
Traditionally, flint glasses contain around 4%-60% lead oxide, however the manufacture and disposal of these glasses are sources of pollution. In many modern flint glasses, the lead can be replaced with other additives such as titanium dioxide and zirconium dioxide without significantly altering the optical properties of the glass.
Flint glass can be fashioned into rhinestones which are used to simulate diamonds. REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_glass.