|Description: A handless pearlware coffee or tea bowl with blue transfer printed gothic. There is a tower ruin and a landscape scene around the exterior of the bowl. The interior of the cup is decorated with a blue transfer printed floral and bird border. At the centre bottom of the bowl is the gothic tower ruin landscape scene found repeated on the exterior of the bowl. The bowl has a slightly obtuse angle. The deep bowl-like saucer (C.9.67b) has a blue transfer print on the interior of the saucer. A floral and bird border surrounds a gothic ruin and landscape scene. The same border and scene are found on the interior of the bowl. The saucer is marked with an ornate blue transfer printed cartouche with 'Nepi Suza' inscribed on it.
History: Pearlware is thought to have been invented by Josiah Wedgwood, although there is debate whether Staffordshire potters had invented 'China Glaze' earlier. Wedgwood called his invention 'Pearl White'. He developed the ware over a period of years and eventually marketed it in 1779. The ware he eventually produced was basically a creamware body, which was covered with a glaze containing some china stone and a small quantity of cobalt which gave a bluish cast to the glaze. It is this bluish glaze over a whitish body which is regarded as the single most important diagnostic feature in identifying pearlware. For more information regarding pearlware and its characteristics, please visit: http://www.thepotteries.org/features/pearlware.htm (visited 17 February 2007).
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga|