Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 319 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Cruse Oil Lamp
Identifier: L.30.67
Donor: G. B. Garlatti
Item Date: 1800-1840
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2007
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A round pan with a small open spout and a vertical handle which is decorated at the top with a pineapple-like fruit. The pan is fitted into a similar pan that has a plain handle that is for hanging the lamp. History: The cruse lamp evolved from simple clay pan lamps that were in use as early as 6000 B.C. Later these lamps were made from metal and used wicks of twisted cloth and then braided cotton. The fuel used for illumination was whale oil or fat trimmings. These lamps were smoky, smelly and dangerous!! The wick would often draw up oil faster than it was burned causing it to spill over the sides. Later styles, such as this one displayed, made use of two trays so that the second one would catch the drippings. The Betty lamp evolved out of the Cruse lamp with some minor alterations including a lid which made it safer, and a channel to funnel fuel back into the bowl rather than two pans.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850