|Description: A brown, black, white and gold book of 446 pages entitled "Running the Gauntlet" by Edmund Yates. The inscription reads: "Elizabeth M. Harris, 125 Beverley St., Toronto." |
"Edmund Hodgson Yates (1831-1894) was a British novelist and dramatist. He was born in Edinburgh to the actor and theatre manager Frederick Henry Yates and held an appointment for a period of time in the General Post Office as an adult. He worked as a journalist, mainly as a dramatic writer, and also wrote many dramatic pieces and some novels, including Running the Gauntlet and The Black Sheep. Yates was perhaps best known as editor of The World society journal. He was also the author of and performed in Invitations at Egyptian Hall, London, which ran in 1862-1863. The work was a highly successful comedy in which he and Harold Littledale Power posed as hosts to a variety of singers and actors. Power also performed songs and imitations." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Yates
George Routledge (1812-1888) was a British publisher. He started in business in London as a bookseller in 1836, and as a publisher in 1843, making his first serious success by reprinting the Biblical commentaries of an American writer, Albert Barnes. His company is known for the enormous number of cheap books which they issued. A series of shilling volumes called the Railway Library was an immense success, including as it did Mrs Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin, and he also published in popular form some of the writings of Washington Irving, James Fenimore Cooper, Bulwer-Lytton and Benjamin Disraeli. He also brought out a number of shilling books in Routledges Universal Library. After being styled Routledge, Warne & Routledge, his firm changed its name to that of George Routledge & Sons in 1858. A branch of the business was established in New York in 1854. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Routledge
The book belonged to Elizabeth M. Harris (1835-1910), eldest daughter of Elizabeth (née Molony) (1829-1884) and Captain James Beveridge Harris (1797-1884). Also known as Bessie, she was born on board a ship as her parents emigrated to Canada. She lived at Benares until 1888, when a series of inheritances allowed her, with her sister Lucy, to buy a house on St. George Street and later Beverly Street in Toronto.Bessie and Lucy enjoyed collecting antiques, ceramics and gardening. Some of their furniture is in the Benares collection. Bessie died in 1910.