Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 166 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book - “The Works of Charles Dickens”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “The Works of Charles Dickens”
Identifier: 979.6.1485
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1880
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A set of six volumes with dark brown covers, gold decoration on spine and gold decorations and drawings of people on front. The books are entitled "The Works of Charles Dickens"

Charles John Huffam Dickens, was born 7 February 1812 and died 9 June 1870. His pen-name was Boz. He was the foremost English novelist of the Victorian era, as well as a vigorous social campaigner. Considered one of the English language's greatest writers, he was acclaimed for his rich storytelling and memorable characters, and achieved massive worldwide popularity in his lifetime. Later critics, beginning with George Gissing and G. K. Chesterton, championed his mastery of prose, his endless invention of memorable characters and his powerful social sensibilities, but fellow writers such as George Henry Lewes, Henry James and Virginia Woolf fault his work for sentimentality, implausible occurrence and grotesque characters.[1]The popularity of Dickens' novels and short stories has meant that not one has ever gone out of print. Dickens wrote serialised novels, the usual format for fiction at the time, and each new part of his stories was eagerly anticipated by the reading public. From:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dickens

Peter Fenelon Collier (1849 - 1909) was the founder of the publishing company P.F. Collier & Son. In 1874, he published a biography of Pius IX and later published Chandler's Encyclopedia and Chamber's Encyclopedia. He then began publishing Collier's Library, a series of popular novels. In 1888 he introduced Collier’s Once a Week. By1892, Collier's Once a Week had a circulation of over 250,000, and was one of the largest selling magazines in the United States. In 1895, the name was changed to Collier's Weekly: An Illustrated Journal. Peter Collier died on April 23, 1909, his son, Robert Joseph Collier, took over as publisher of Collier's Weekly. When Norman Hapgood joined Harper's Weekly in 1912, Robert Collier became the new editor. Circulation continued to grow, and by 1917, circulation reached one million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_F._Collier
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851