Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 90 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Book - “Cassell's Magazine”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “Cassell's Magazine”
Identifier: 979.6.1533
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1870-1872
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Two hard cover books entitled "Cassells Magazine" with a yellow, brown and black mottlled cover with red brown spine and reinforced corners. The first copy (1) is dated Aug 1870- April 1871, while the second copy (2) is dated Jan 1872-Sept 1872.

The magazine most likely came from Matilda Lindsay (née Harris) as she frequently sent packages to Benares. Matilda referred to the magazines in a letter to her brother James Beveridge Harris 10 January 1877. James was one of Matilda's brothers who she corresponded with often. See: Harris Family Fonds, Letter 63, Matlida to James January 10, 1877, Peel Archives.

Begun in 1867 as the successor to Cassell's Illustrated Family Paper and later retitled Cassell's Family Magazine this was a publication of Cassell and Co. Aimed at a "family readership". The heavily illustrated magazine published name novelists such as R L Stevenson, A Quiller Couch, H Rider Haggard, Sheridan Le Fanu, Charles Reade, Wilkie Collins and J M Barrie. The serialisation of Wilkie Collins's Man and Wife was so popular it raised circulation to 70 000. After it was retitled in 1874 its featured novelists changed to the more populist authors such as Mrs G Linnaeus Banks, J Berwick Harwood and Theo Gift. By the late 1890s, the journal had been increasingly influenced by the Tit-Bits genre of miscellaneous journalism and the new pictorial techniques pioneered in Newnes's Strand Magazine. The magazine survived into the twentieth century. From :http://www.geocities.com/helenvict0r/VicPeriod.html
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851