|Description: A colour photograph of Clarkson Road North looking north and two buildings that were once the Clarkson General Store and The Post Office. This is a two and one half storey commercial structure, with aluminium siding and a brick pattern pressed in on the north side. Architectural features include a gable roof with asphalt shingles, an asymmetrical six bay facade that faces east. The windows are modern plate glass on the first storey and double hung sash one over one on the second storey. The east facade has aluminium and wood siding and an arched gable window, while the south facade has asbestos siding. (From the City of Mississauga website under the Property and Tax database).|
This is one of the few remaining structures of the original Clarkson Corners. Warren Clarkson built this structure in 1835 and later on, in 1875, The Post Office was installed; it opened in 1882. Edith Clarkson took over in 1901 and added a second storey and a new addition to the north side; she remained postmaster until her death in 1925. The business was bought by William Thomas McCord in 1926 and became the Red & White Store until 1937 when it was purchased by Harry Gerhart. He appointed David Terry as postmaster and operated the store as Carload Grocetaria. Terry remained postmaster until 1945 when Gerhart took over the post office. The business was bought in 1947 by John Bodley who changed the business from a general store to groceries only. By this time the post office had been moved to an adjacent building.
The building is on the Heritage Register but it is not designated; today it is used as commercial units with some residential space on top and behind the buildings. (Information taken from Kathleen Hick's Clarkson book and from the City of Mississauga Historic Images Gallery).