|Description: A colour photograph of the exterior of Clargreen Gardens located at 814 Southdown Road. To the left of the photograph is the greenhouse covered in glass panels and in the foreground is the wooden green and white sign which reads "clargreen gardens, Ontario's specialty plant life marketplace".|
Clargreen Gardens was started in Oct 1918 by Thomas Holmes and Bert Abbs who purchased four acres of land from Reuben Lush; they called the facility Clarkson Greenhouse. In 1973 Clarkson Greenhouse changed from a wholesale operation to a retail business and changed its name to Clargreen gardens. After over 80 years of operation it closed its doors on December 15th 2001. Clargreen gardens landscaping division is now part of Butterfly Landscaping Corporation which is located on 2243 Dunwin Drive. (Information taken from Kathleen Hick's Clarkson book).
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga |
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga |