Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 809 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - 814 Southdown Road: Clargreen Gardens
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - 814 Southdown Road: Clargreen Gardens
Identifier: 2006.4.9.19
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 2000
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A colour photograph of the exterior of Clargreen Gardens located at 814 Southdown Road. To the left of the photograph is the greenhouse covered in glass panels and in the foreground is the wooden green and white sign which reads "clargreen gardens, Ontario's specialty plant life marketplace".

Clargreen Gardens was started in Oct 1918 by Thomas Holmes and Bert Abbs who purchased four acres of land from Reuben Lush; they called the facility Clarkson Greenhouse. In 1973 Clarkson Greenhouse changed from a wholesale operation to a retail business and changed its name to Clargreen gardens. After over 80 years of operation it closed its doors on December 15th 2001. Clargreen gardens landscaping division is now part of Butterfly Landscaping Corporation which is located on 2243 Dunwin Drive. (Information taken from Kathleen Hick's Clarkson book).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850