Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 810 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - 822 Clarkson Road South
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - 822 Clarkson Road South
Identifier: 2006.4.10.4
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 2000
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A colour photograph showing the front exterior of the house located at 822 Clarkson Road South, which is built in an English Tudor style.
This two storey structure is rectangular with a single storey addition at the north rear. The gable roof on the main block has a medium pitch with brackets under part of the southern side. This section was added later to the original structure. The rear addition has a salt box shape. There are three internally bracketed brick chimneys, two in the main block and one in the rear section. The basement is accessible from outside. The foundation is of rubble with walls of frame construction, the whole covered in stucco. Half timbering decorates the upper part of the house. The rear addition has been newly re-stuccoed. The fenestration program is varied; along the front fašade on the main floor, there are two fifteen over one pane double hung windows, one on either side of the door. Smaller windows appear on the second storey with a ribbon of three nine over one by nine over one pane casement windows at the left. There is a large bowed window in the centre of the main block. Another bowed window appears on the first floor at the rear. The front door is flanked by sidelights underneath the porch roof. The floor of the porch is encased by curved balusters. Inside, much wood detail is original and intact. (information taken from City of Mississauga Tax and Property Database)

Built in the 1830s by Russell Bush on land bought from Amos Merigold. The inn served as a halfway house for people traveling by stagecoach between Lakeshore Road and Dundas Street. Once the railway took over from the stagecoach, Bush was no longer able to maintain the inn and sold the property in 1855 to Captain Edward Sutherland who changed the name to Woodburn. Sutherland converted some of the land to strawberry patches and this marked the start of the commercial strawberry operation in Clarkson. In 1910 the property was sold to Mr. Westervelt. The building still stands today and is used as a family residence. The building is listed on the Heritage Register but it is not designated (Information taken from the City of Mississauga's Historic Image Gallery).
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851