Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 848 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - Cawthra-Elliot House
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Cawthra-Elliot House
Identifier: 2006.4.15.13
Donor: City of Mississauiga
Item Date: 1992
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A colour photograph showing the front of the Cawthra-Elliot House. The house is a Georgian Revival style with light brown brick, stucco veneer, and a stone foundation.BR>
The Cawthra-Elliot House, located on 1507 Cawthra Road, was built in 1926 for Grace and her husband Harry McIntyre Elliot (the first Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police) after they married in 1921. During Grace and Harry's lifetime the estate was known as the Cawthra-Lotten Estate. It was built and designed by William Somerville who was directed to fashion the house and grounds after the Cawthra's family home in Yorkshire, England which was called Yeadon Hall. The glass enclosures located on the back of the house was constructed in the 1990s when the City took over ownership of the Estate and converted the building into a meeting facility. The house and adjacent property have been protected under the Ontario Heritage Act. For more information, see the Mississauga Heritage Foundation fact sheet on Harry Macintyre Cawthra-Elliot and Grace M.K. Cawthra-Elliot.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850