Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 977 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph  Tennis Court
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph Tennis Court
Identifier: 2006.4.18.8
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1985 - 1989
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Colour photograph of tennis courts in Mississauga. There are two people in the picture playing tennis, one is dressed in white and the other in blue.

Tennis was played by many Toronto Township families in the early 1880s including the Adamsons, Harrises and Skynners who all had courts on their properties. The first tennis clubs in the township was formed in the 1890s beside the Trinity Church in Streetsville and down by the Lake at the Lorne Park Resort. One of the oldest established clubs still operating today is the Credit Valley Lawn Tennis Club, formed in 1922 by private citizens (the club was originally on Veronica Street in Port Credit but relocated to Huron Park in 1971). When Whiteoaks Tennis Club was established in 1959, it was just one of a handful of tennis courts in public parks. Today there are over 134 tennis courts spread across 45 community and city operated clubs in Mississauga, along with four private, indoor racket clubs, and countless private courts.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8851