|Description: A narrow metal instrument with a handle. At the head, a set of 6 key-shaped holes, decreasing in size from one end to the other. The holes are to measure nail heads|
This tool is from John Gordon Cameron's Carpenter's Chest, the donor's great-grandfather. The tools and chest are from the early 1800s. J. G. Cameron was a builder by trade and settled in Seaton Village, which is now part of Toronto. He married Wilhelmina Ross. The chest was then passed down to his son, John Gordon Cameron (1841-1903), who was also a builder and worked on the Church of the Redeemer, the Church of the Messiah, and the old Toronto City Hall. The tools were made by both the donor's great-grandfather and grandfather.