Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 358 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Doll Clothes
  View Full size image
Title: Doll Clothes
Identifier: 2007.4.11.2
Donor: Mrs. Margaret Miller
Item Date: 1935 – 1954
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A blue and white print doll's bloomers. It has an elastic waist and leg bands.

Margaret Miller née Martin has lived in Mississauga since 1970 on Fellmore Drive. She now resides at a Seniors Home in Meadowvale. Mrs. Miller was born in Toronto in 1930. Her parents, John William Martin (d. 1972) and Beatrice May née Gledhill (d. 1988) both emigrated from England. They met while working in a woollen mill in St. Thomas, Ontario. They moved to Salem Avenue in the 'Annex' area of Toronto and had two daughters, Dorothy (1923-2005) and Margaret. The dolls donated belonged to Margaret although a few were originally her sister's. Most of the clothing was made by her sister, Dorothy, or had been given to either of them.

Margaret attended Teachers College and worked as a teacher for a number of years in North York. She later worked as a receptionist for the Ontario Government for close to 25 years. She married George 'Vernon' Miller (1928-1982) in 1965.

Dorothy Jeffries née Martin (1923-2005) worked as a missionary in the Philippines during the 1950s which unfortunately lead to many tropical diseases for her including malaria. She trained many of the younger missionaries on how to look after children and the families. The dolls that Margaret has donated are typical of dolls available across Canada including Mississauga.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850