Historic Images Gallery - New!
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 647 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Meat Grinder
  View Full size image
Title: Meat Grinder
Identifier: 989.6.2 a-g
Donor: Fred Heal
Item Date: 1870 -1940
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A grinder made of galvanized metal with a clamp on the bottom. Engraved on the grinder is 'Universal', and on the handle is 'made in the U.S.A.' and 'L.F. & C. New Britain, Conn. U.S.A'. There is a hopper in the top where the meat is placed. There are seven parts: a main body cast, handle, auger, three cutting blades, and thumb nut.

In 1829, George Landers arrived in New Britain, Connecticut, where he worked in a foundry manufacturing hardware. After the owner's death in 1853, the foundry became known as Landers and Smith Manufacturing Company. In 1862, L & S acquired the firm of Frary, Clark & Company of Meriden, Connecticut and became known as Landers, Frary & Clark. By 1870, L.F. & C manufactured: "meat choppers and sausage stuffers, screw eyes and strap hooks, door handles and floor scrapers, molasses gates and faucets, meat hooks and harness hooks, cast iron match boxes and curry combs, fancy brass hat hooks and eyes with porcelain knob ends--and even toys." The company went of business in 1965. Source: http://www.toaster.org/landers.html.

A meat grinder is a culinary tool for grinding meat. Several varieties of the tool are available, although most people conjure the image of a hand-powered grinder which is cranked. The meat grinder was invented in the mid 19th Century by Karl Drais.

Most meat grinders function by forcing the meat against and through small holes as it is cut. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_grinder
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850