|Description: A black dress with a black velvet bodice and silk skirt. The dress has short sleeves which are made from ribbons of black velvet and netting. A label in the back reads: "DIANTHA/DISTINCTION IN DRESS".|
This item belonged to the mother and grandmother of the donor's husband. His grandmother, Mrs. Coleson, died in 1940 at the age of 90. Mr. Herridge's parents came to Canada from England in 1901.
This item was donated by the Herridge family, long time residents of Mississauga and owners of Herridge Market on Southdown Road in Clarkson. Lloyd Coulson Herridge (1912-1988) and his wife Viola née Ehrhardt (1912-2004) had six children: Lois, Ross, Don, Bruce, Jim and Jane (Jane donated these items on behalf of her family). All members of the family worked at the market and it still continues to be a family run business with Don Herridge and his family now managing the market. Lloyd Herridge and all of his children attended Clarkson School on Clarkson Road South. Lloyd, aside from operating the market, worked for the Public Utilities Commission and was also involved in local politics. He served as Deputy Reeve and Reeve and was a close friend of Robert Speck: former Reeve of Toronto Township.